Oxford Tri is a friendly, inclusive and very active triathlon club offering a wide range of coached and social training sessions throughout the year. We support and welcome members of all abilities, from absolute beginners through to experienced national and international competitors in all forms and distances of the sport.
Joining Oxford Tri Club…
The following section should contain all you need to know about joining the club and the associated benefits.
About the club
Oxford Tri Club was set up in 1988 and currently has an active membership of around 300. Members range from complete beginners to European and World Championship age group athletes. We welcome all levels of experience and ability and support athletes competing at all distances of triathlon, duathlon and aquathlon.
- Up to four coached swim sessions per week
- Coached track-based run sessions
- Sunday morning club cycle rides for all abilities
- Open-water swimming at Dorchester Sailing Club (usually May through to September)
- Socially focussed runs and rides
- Off-season coached turbo sessions
- A club duathlon series running throughout the race season
- Discount on your annual BTF race license
- Lots of discounts from local bike shops, bike fitters, restaurants etc. - see this page for more details: https://oxfordtri.co.uk/discounts-and-affiliates
- Discounted use of the gym and other facilities at OXSRAD (Marston)
- Free use of club equipment (bike bags and boxes etc.)
- Some of the best kit in Triathlon!
- Annual subsidised social events - including the much anticipated end-of-season dinner.
- Access to the member’s area of the club website to log your races and results.
- And finally, loads of friendly advice, support and encouragement in all areas of the sport.
We offer pool and open water swimming, track, road and park running and paced, social and turbo cycling sessions. The sessions run all year round at venues in and around Oxford with a degree of seasonal variation i.e. no turbo sessions in the summer and no open water swimming in the winter! Full details of dates, times and locations can be found here: http://www.oxfordtri.co.uk/events-calendar
We aim to cater for all levels at all sessions, so please don’t worry if you’re new to any aspect of the sport. The vast majority of our sessions are coached, and we do our best to have more than one coach available where possible. Most of our coaches are qualified to BTF level two and three, with assistant coaches qualified to level one.
Prospective new members are very welcome to attend up to two training sessions on a trial basis before joining the club. In the first instance, take a look at the training calendar and pick something you like the look of. Once you have selected a trial session or two, drop an email to leadcoach [at] oxfordtri [dot] co [dot] uk so we can get you booked on and obtain some essential information from you.
At any trial session, please make yourself known to the coaching team before the start and then get stuck in! It is essential that you take emergency contact details with you to every session.
Please note: unfortunately we are unable to allow trial members to attend the open water training sessions, owing to insurance restrictions. Also, the offer is subject to availability and/or capacity of the facility, and obviously existing members will get priority if numbers are limited. Numbers at some pool sessions are restricted and there is a slim chance that there may not be space available on the night. However, we will try our very best to accommodate you.
Whether attending on a trial or full membership basis, the following kit is required:
- Swim sessions – swim hats must be worn at all pool sessions, wetsuits are compulsory at our open water sessions.
- Bike rides – road worthy road bikes are required, helmets are mandatory.
- Run sessions – basic running kit appropriate to the weather.
- Turbo sessions – the club own a number of turbo trainers and these are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis at each session. To avoid disappointment, we recommend you bring your own turbo if you have one.
Cost of membership
Membership for 2018 is £90 (Jan-Dec).
There are no additional fees to pay during the year – your membership fee entitles you to attend any/all sessions and there are no venue entry fees. So for the equivalent of just £1.25 per week, you get an average of 8 coached training sessions which we believe is amazing value!
Once you have decided to join, simply scroll to the bottom of the page, click 'add to basket' and follow the steps through to payment.
Once your personal details and payment have been received, your website profile will be activated enabling you to access the online session sign up system. Within two weeks you will receive a shiny new membership card in the post (it may be slightly longer if the membership secretary is on holiday or is having a bad week at work!). Failure to complete any of the sections online will delay this process.
You are very welcome to attend training sessions between paying your membership fee and receiving your membership card – just take your Paypal receipt and emergency contact details along with you.
General club chit-chat, advice and support
The Oxford Tri Club Facebook Group is the best place for you to post general training, race, kit, equipment and other questions. It can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxfordtri/
Unfortunately we do not currently run a junior section and as a result membership is restricted to those aged 18 and above. A list of alternative clubs that do offer junior membership can be found via the BTF website.
Concessionary Membership Rates
We do not have any standard concessionary rates for membership but we consider reduced rates on a case by case basis (eg. for registered disabled persons). Please contact us at membership [at] oxfordtri [dot] co [dot] uk for more info.
If you have any other membership related questions that are not answered above, please contact the membership secretary at membership [at] oxfordtri [dot] co [dot] uk. Please post more general questions about the club and triathlon training on the club’s Facebook wall for a prompt response from the committee and other members.